Individualized Services Alternative Billing Reduced Fee or Retainer Options Based on Case Payment Plans to Fit Your Needs Day, Weekend, and Evening Appointments and House Calls Extended Hours of Phone Availability Call Today for a Free No Obligation Phone Consultation



An unfavorable decision in the trial court is not the end of a case. Maybe someone went to trial in a criminal case and lost, maybe they got an unfavorable custody order, or maybe they had a final protection from abuse (or PFA) order issued against them. While the case is over in county court, you can argue that the order was wrong—you have appellate rights.

But how does someone exercise their appellate rights? There are special courts that will review the trial court’s decisions. In Pennsylvania, they are the Commonwealth, Superior, and Supreme Courts. Almost no decision that a trial court makes is beyond their reach; the appellate courts can review everything from the trial court’s evidentiary decisions to the length of a criminal sentence. They have the power to correct any mistake they find: they can order new trials; override the trial court’s decision; or even discharge a prisoner, vacate his conviction, and forbid retrial.

Having the right attorney is a big part to a successful appeal. Each court has its own set of rules and special requirements. Appeals in Pennsylvania, for example, are governed by more than three hundred rules of procedure, dozens of internal operating procedures, and volumes of decisions interpreting the law and appellate rules. An attorney who has experience in the appellate courts knows those rules—and most importantly, how to avoid the pitfalls—gives the client the best chance of success.

At Gearty Law Office, we have attorneys who have practiced before the appellate courts, know the rules and procedures, and have proven track records of success on appeal. If you would like us to review your case, call to talk to one of our attorneys—you lose nothing by seeking a second opinion.