Individualized Services Alternative Billing Reduced Fee or Retainer Options Based on Case Payment Plans to Fit Your Needs Day, Weekend, and Evening Appointments and House Calls Extended Hours of Phone Availability Call Today for a Free No Obligation Phone Consultation

Substance abuse, whether that is the abuse of illegal substances or a legal substance like alcohol, comes into play in various different areas of law and is frequently seen at the Law Office of Justin C. Gearty Jr. When substance abuse is an issue in your legal matter, it is critical that you have an attorney that understands substance abuse issues in great detail. By having a lawyer familiar with that subject matter, the attorney can better prepare you for the questioning in the court and can assist you in getting treatment to ensure your case is presented in the best light possible. If the substance abuse issue is on the other side, for example; the other side of a custody case, you need an attorney that can effectively cross-examine the other side to establish any remaining issues, such as whether they have successfully completed ALL necessary treatment, whether the treatment recommendations were appropriate given the facts and circumstances of this case, whether sufficient drug testing has been done, whether the person has established a sufficient support system, etc.

Attorney Gearty is much more familiar than most with substance abuse issues. Attorney Gearty began working in addictions treatment in 2002. In July of 2016, Attorney Gearty became a shareholder and president of the board of H.S.A. Counseling, Inc, which now does business as Gearty and Skiles Counseling. Gearty and Skiles provides outpatient drug and alcohol treatment in Lancaster and Ephrata. Attorney Gearty has spoken on the topic of drug addiction in schools, rehab centers, jails, prisons, detention centers, etc. Mr. Gearty traveled the country working with over 30 different treatment centers as a business analyst.

If you or someone you know that has a case that involves substance abuse, such as a criminal case, child custody case, divorce matter, protection from abuse matter, or other, contact Gearty Law today for a free phone consultation.

Under Pennsylvania Law, there are typically 2 ways of obtaining a divorce. The first way is a divorce that is completed by consent. This is completed under section 3301c of the PA Divorce Code. The requires the filing and serving of a divorce complaint, a 90 day waiting period, followed by the execution of the divorce consents by both parties.

Often times, one party or the other may refuse to sign a consent. For example, spousal support or alimony pendente lite is often awarded to the lower earning spouse. The support award ends being anywhere between 30% and 40% (depending on whether there is also a child support award). Those support payments will continue until the divorce is completed, often times regardless of the length of the marriage. We have seen this result in people paying for support for 2 or more years for a marriage that lasted that long or less, which seems patently unfair. The had required 2 years of separation before a divorce could be completed without consent. Fortunately, the law was modified, which went into effect in December of 2016. The law, found under section 3301d of the PA Divorce Code, now allows for the completion of a divorce following a one year separation. Under section 3301d, if one party refuses to consent, the divorce can still be finalized without that persons consent once there has been one year of separation.

If you or someone you know needs representation, contact the PA Divorce Law Firm of Justin C. Gearty Jr. We offer a free, no obligation phone consultation. We are often able to offer a flat fee for divorces under 3301c and 3301d when there are no corresponding property or child custody claims. Call today for more information. 717-490-6325